High quality education in English will ensure that our pupils learn to write and speak fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and and emotions to others, and through their reading and listening others can communicate with them.
At St David's C of E Primary School we use LETTERS and SOUNDS to teach phonics. The school uses a variety of reading book banded reading books to support the development of reading - these include: Oxford Reading Tree, Floppy's Phonics and Project X - CODE
We plan for English using the 2014 National Curriculum
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich an varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.