Art & Design
At St David's, we value Art as an important part of the children’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. Our intent is to provide children with the confidence, knowledge and skills to express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas. Art is considered to play an important role in our children’s mental wellbeing and therefore taught regularly throughout the year.
Art is linked where appropriate to topics, allowing children to make genuine links with knowledge they have gained, allowing them to produce a meaningful product. Our children will be taught to explore and evaluate different creative concepts, all whilst being an artist themselves.
Through focusing on specific local, national and international artists, children are taught how to be proficient in design, drawing, painting and sculpture. In Art, children are taught how to be reflective and evaluate their own and others work verbally and in writing. As artists the children are encouraged to take risks within their work, developing their resilience and independence.
To ensure high standards of teaching and learning in art, we implement a curriculum that is progressive throughout the whole school:
• Art is taught each term, focusing on knowledge and skills.
• Purposeful links are made, where appropriate, to current topics so that products produced are meaningful.
• Art is taught in whole class groups followed by group and individual work
• New techniques and skills are modelled and examples of work are shown to the children.
• New and relevant vocabulary is introduced progressively;
• The evidence of children's art work is collected in their art sketch book which follows the children through the school.
• Sketch books will contain experimentation, photographs and reflections, showing ideas and development.
• Photographs of final pieces, larger, group or 3D pieces are also kept in the art sketch books.
• Children are assessed at the end of a unit of work.
Our art curriculum is high quality, with a progressive skills focus. As a result children develop a strong well-rounded skills set that allows them to design and create high quality products. These products are meaningful to the children, demonstrate age appropriate skills and show their individual creativity. Pupils’ sketch books demonstrate that control and technique with media such as pencil, pastel and paint improve significantly through their time at St David's.