Maths is an essential part of everyday life around the home, in business and in the ever changing world of Science and Technology. At St David's C of E Primary School we aim to provide children with a rich mathematical education, providing opportunities to apply their continually developing knowledge and understanding of real life problems. Staff use White Rose to support them plan for continuity and progression in Maths.
We aim to ensure that children have a firm grasp of mathematical concepts in:
- Number and Place Value - Read, write and order numbers up to 10,000,000 and know the value of each digit including decimals; Round any number to a given degree of accuracy; Use negative numbers in context; Understand the vocabulary of classifying numbers e.g. factors, multiples, prime numbers, square numbers
- Addition, Multiplication, Subtraction and Division using a variety of mental and written methods of calculation
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages - Be able to convert between these forms; multiply and divide decimals by 10, 100 and 1000; Be able to perfrom a range of calculations with them
- Ratio and Proportion
- Algebra - Using simple formulae, expressing missing number problems using letters and symbols
- Measurement - Applied to Length, Capacity, Time and Weight using standard and non-standard units
- Geometry - Including properties of 2D and 3D shape including the measurement of angle, Position and Direction (Using coordinates in 4 quadrants)
- Statistics - Being able to construct and interpret a range of charts and graphs and calculate information using a range of data e.g. mode, mean, median and range
Children work collaboratively, independently and in guided groups with an adult to develop their understanding to enable them to become articulate when talking about and applying their developing understanding.